Saturday, December 30, 2006

Mushroom strata


I managed to make the Mushroom strata yesterday. It was really nice. We just had it for tea. I should have taken a picture BEFORE we destroyed it, but hey, you get the idea.
Click here for the recipe it's well worth it. I googled "strata" and there are heaps of versions. I've never heard of them before but I guess it's an American thing - and the Americans have very clever ideas with food.
Edit: I used skim milk, only a small amount of extra lite pouring cream, low fat grated cheese and only four eggs. Oh and I didn't add the wine. If you are a vegetarian you could omit the bacon. For meat lovers you could add chicken or some spicy sausage. You could also add any other vegies you want as the bread and egg sort of act as a case for the middle filling part. I know it looks messy but it was actually quite well held together, even more so after cooling. I think it might be even better tomorrow. Next time I would definitely add some garlic aswell and maybe a fresh herb or two.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Oh yum!! Thanks for posting it :-)

Leighanne said...

This is one I will be giving a try...thanks for posting!
Hope you are feeling better:)

michelle said...

I am definitely going to try this Bri.

Chunky said...

That. Looks. De-vine!

Suzy said...

Happy New Year Bri!
Hope you are fully recovered now. Have a wonderful 2007.